Food and Nutrition Services

The Food and Nutrition Services program provides monthly benefits allowing low-income households to buy food. The amount of assistance depends on a family’s eligibility. Benefits are issued monthly by an electronic benefits card.

The EBT card can be used at a store just like a debit card. Each use of your card is automatically deducted from your benefit balance. You will be given a receipt that shows the amount of your remaining balance for the month.

Ways to Apply

In Person or Express Application
You can apply anytime Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday from 8am – 5pm, or Wednesday from 8am-12pm, or pick up an application, complete it, and mail it to us at:

Lenoir County Department of Social Services
PO Box 6
Kinston, NC 28503

At the Social Security Administration 
individual applying at Social Security Administration for Social Security Income can also apply for Food Assistance at the Social Security Office and they will mail it to the Department of Social Services.

By Fax
You can have an application faxed to you, and you may fax applications to us at 252-559-6328. For more information call us at 252-559-6400.

Information to Bring

  • Birth Certificates
  • Social Security Numbers
  • Verification of:
    • Assets such as bank accounts, property, insurance policies, etc.
    • Income
    • Monthly utility expenses
    • Rent / mortgage


Lenoir County Department of Social Services

Administration, Personnel, Business Officer/Accounting

Fax - 252-559-6381

Adult Services & Child Welfare Services

Fax - 252-520-7878

Child Support Services

Fax - 252-559-6380

Economic Services (Food & Nutrition Services, Medicaid, Fraud, Energy, Transportation)

Fax - 252-559-6328 

Medicaid Expansion

Phone Number :252-559-6269



Physical Address:

130 W King Street
Kinston, NC 28501-4836

Mailing Address:
PO Box 6
Kinston, NC 28503-0006

Hours of Operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday - 7:30am to 5:00pm
Wednesday – 7:30am to 12:00pm

Director: Jeff Harrison

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information please visit the NC DHHS Website.