Emergency Notifications

In an effort to provide more reliable and effective communications with citizens, Lenoir County has implemented Hyper-Reach as our emergency notification provider.

What is Hyper-Reach?

Hyper-Reach is a high‐speed Emergency Notification System that alerts residents to emergency situations like severe storm warnings, road closures, water problems, evacuations, and others deemed necessary by public officials. The program has the capability of delivering messages to the entire County via telephone, cell phone, email, text message, and social media sites. The system uses a publicly available list of phone numbers that can be removed or updated by both residents and businesses. Some phone numbers are not in the system and residents are encouraged to update their information and contact preferences, or add additional phone numbers, cell phones, and email addresses.

How do I signup for Hyper-Reach?

Residents can receive alerts by registering via the Hyper-Reach web portal found on this page, by calling 252-549-2249, or by texting “alerts” to 252-549-2249. You can log into both the web portal at any time to update your contact information or add/remove yourself from available list subscriptions.

Lenoir County Emergency Services Department

Physical Address:
200 Rhodes Avenue
Kinston, NC 28502

Mailing Address:
PO Box 3289
Kinston, NC 28502

Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm

Director: Murry Stroud
Deputy Director: Samuel Kornegay
Fire Marshal: Jacob Turner

Frequently Asked Questions

When Should I Call 911?

Dial 9-1-1 in an emergency only. If an emergency situation (a crime, fire, serious injury or illness) arises, ask yourself whether police, fire department, or medical assistance is needed right now to protect life or property. If the answer is “yes”, then immediately dial 9-1-1 and advise the telecommunicator of what has happened or is happening.

If you are not sure whether or not the situation is an emergency, call 9-1-1 and let the our telecommunicators make that determination. Always call 9-1-1 to report a fire, report a possible medical emergency, or to report a crime in progress.

When Calling 911, Remember to:
  • Stay calm. Give the telecommunicator your name, location, and nature of the emergency.
  • Listen carefully to the telecommunicator.
  • When the telecommunicator asks you questions, try to answer them as accurately as possible. Speak clearly and slowly.
  • Do exactly as the telecommunicator tells you during the course of the call.
  • Never hang up until you are told to do so.
  • Our telecommunicators are certified in Emergency Police DIspatch, Emergency Fire Dispatch, and Emergency Medical Dispatch through the National Academy of Emergency Dispatchers. This means when you call Lenoir County Communications your call is being handled by trained professionals following national protocols and standards of care.
When I dial 911, why do they ask so many questions?

Responders are dispatched upon receiving address and telephone; however, additional information is needed to better prepare the responders for their arrival on scene and to provide the best level of service for the nature of the call.

Where do I pay my EMS bill?

Lenoir County EMS uses a third party billing company, EMS Billing and Management. You may obtain their information here: https://emsbilling.com/patient.

What can I legally burn?

You may burn vegetative (yard) debris, ie: leaves, limbs, etc; however, it must be from your yard. You may not transport vegetative debris from other locations and burn them on your property. Always be aware of the wind conditions prior to burning. You may obtain additional information at the NC Division of Environmental Quality website: https://deq.nc.gov/

What requirements are there to work for EMS or Communications?

To be employed within the EMS Division, you must already hold a valid EMT, Advanced-EMT, or Paramedic level credential, as well as a NC driver's license.
To be employed within the Communications Division, you must have a high school diploma or GED from an accredited teaching institution, as well as a NC driver's license.
For both divisions, you must be able to pass a thorough criminal history background check and a drug test.