The Lenoir County Solid Waste Department provides Lenoir County residents with the collection and disposal of waste materials in accordance with the rules and regulations set forth by the State of North Carolina. The Lenoir County Solid Waste Department is divided into three (3) specific areas located on the grounds for designated materials:
- Transfer Station / Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)– Waste generated from residential, commercial, and institutional non-hazardous solid wastes and designated solid wastes. (Ex. Household trash, furniture, clothing, toys, etc.….)
- Construction and Demolition (C&D)– Any waste generated from construction, remodeling, repair or demolition operations on pavement, building, or other structures. (Ex. Wood, shingles, concrete, brick, siding, plumbing, pipes, etc.…)
- Land Clearing and Inert Debris (LCID) – Waste generated through land clearing activities. (Ex. Stumps, trees, limbs, and leaves, brush, grass clippings and other naturally occurring vegetative matter.
The landfill provides designated areas on site for disposal of the following materials:
- Lead/Acid Batteries
- Used Motor Oil & Oil Filters
- Wooden Pallets
- Scrap Tires
Lenoir County is not permitted to accept any out-of-county waste. All out-of-county wastes must be taken to landfill of the county where waste is generated.
There are 9 Convenience Sites in Lenoir County. These sites are only for Lenoir County residents that pay a solid waste fee along with their Lenoir County taxes. No COMMERCIAL waste!Material Rates Sheet Fee Structure Change Notice
Solid Waste Fee & What It’s Used For: Improved property owners that do not have trash pickup services pay the $90.00 solid waste fee along with their taxes to dispose of their household trash at any of the 9 convenience sites located in Lenoir County. The fee helps cover operational costs of the county landfill as well, ensuring residents have a place to safely and properly dispose of their waste for years to come.
City residents are not charged the solid waste fee per year; therefore, must go directly to landfill.
What is accepted at the Convenience Sites?
- Household Trash (10 Bag Limit Per Day)
- Kitchen & Bath, etc.
- Everyday common household waste
- Used Oil and Oil Filters
- Comingles (Plastic Bottles #1 & #2, Glass Bottles, Newspaper & Magazines, Aluminum Cans, Paperboard Cans)
Not accepted (at either Landfill or Convenience Sites):
- Oyster Shells
- Cooking Oil
- Hazardous Wastes
- Seafood Products
- Loads of Dead Animals
- Medical Waste
- Fire Embers or Ash (from burned items)
DID YOU KNOW…
- Recycling is mandatory in Lenoir County.
- Littering outside gates or on roadside can be up to a $1500 fine.
- Dumping of prohibited material or dumping in unapproved areas can be fined up to $400.
- Children under 12 must remain in vehicle with engine off.
- Pets must remain in vehicle with engine off.
- Dogs must be secured in truck bed.
- You can call (252) 566-4194 to report illegal dumping.
- We have 9 convenience sites throughout Lenoir County.
- We do not provide pickup of waste.
- Scavenging and dumpster diving will not be tolerated.
- You are responsible for unloading your trash at the sites and landfill.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed at any solid waste facility.
Solid Waste Director
Lenoir County Solid Waste Department
2949 Hodges Farm Road
La Grange, NC 28551
Landfill Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm (Last load accepted 4:00PM)
Saturday 8:00 AM until 12:30 PM (Last load accepted 12:00PM)
Convenience Sites Hours of Operation:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 7:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday and Thursday 8:00am - 6:00pm
Director: Kim Hill