The Lenoir County Solid Waste Department provides Lenoir County residents with the collection and disposal of waste materials in accordance with the rules and regulations set by the State of North Carolina. The Lenoir County Solid Waste Department is divided into three (3) specific areas located on the grounds for designated materials:
- Transfer Station / Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) – Waste generated from residential, commercial, and institutional non-hazardous solid wastes and designated solid wastes. (Ex. Household trash, furniture, clothing, toys, etc…)
- Construction and Demolition (C&D) – Any waste generated from construction, remodeling, repair or demolition operations on pavement, building, or other structures. (Ex. Wood, shingles, concrete, brick, siding, plumbing, pipes, etc…)
- Land Clearing and Inert Debris (LCID) – waste generated through land clearing activities. (Ex. Stumps, trees, limbs, and leaves, brush, grass clippings and other naturally occurring vegetative matter.
Landfill User Fee – Residents that do not have trash pickup services pay the $90.00 landfill user fee on their taxes to dispose of their household trash at one of the 9 recycling sites located in Lenoir County. Household trash is trash collected in the home wastebasket such as kitchens, bedrooms and baths.
What does the current $90 Solid Waste Fee Cover?
The Solid Waste Fee is assessed every year to owners of improved property in Lenoir County to provide for nine (9) Convenience Sites accepting Household Trash and Recyclables including used oil, cardboard and commingles, at no additional charge. The Solid Waste Fee helps cover operational costs and ensures that our residents have a place to safely dispose of waste for years to come.
Garbage Pickup – County residents that pay for trash pickup, city residents and businesses are not charged the Landfill User Fee on their taxes. There is no charge for recyclables for any Lenoir County resident.
The landfill provides designated areas on site for disposal of banned materials:
- Appliances, Metals, Lead-Acid Batteries, Electronics, Used Motor Oil, Used Oil Filters, Wooden Pallets, Scrap Tires
Landfill site does not accept:
Aluminum Cans, Beverage containers, Cardboard, Plastic Bottles (#1 & #2), glass, newspaper & magazines (MUST GO TO CONVENIENCE SITES)
Not accepted (at either Landfill or Recycle Sites):
Oyster Shells, Antifreeze, Cooking Oil, Hazardous Wastes, Herbicides, Seafood Products, Paints, Dead Animals, Foods (Spoiled or Frozen), Liquids, Poisons, Medical Waste, Hazardous Waste, Fire Embers or Ash (from burned items)
There are 9 Recycling Sites in Lenoir County. These sites are for only Lenoir County residents that pay a landfill user fee on their Lenoir County taxes. NO COMMERCIAL.
Lenoir County is not permitted to accept any out-of-county waste. All out-of-county wastes must be taken to landfill of the county where waste is generated.
City residents must go directly to landfill.
DID YOU KNOW…
- Recycling is mandatory in Lenoir County.
- Littering outside gates or on roadside can be up to $1500 fine.
- Illegal dumping of prohibited material in unapproved areas can be fined $300
- Children under 12 must remain in vehicle with engine off.
- Pets must remain in vehicle with engine off.
- Dogs must be secured in truck bed.
- You can call (252) 566-4194 to report illegal dumping.
- We have 9 recycling sites.
- We do not accept liquids or hazardous waste materials.
- We do not provide pickup of waste.
- Scavenging and dumpster diving will not be tolerated.
- You are responsible for unloading you trash at the sites and landfill.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed at any solid waste facility.
Solid Waste Director
Lenoir County Solid Waste Department
2949 Hodges Farm Road
La Grange, NC 28551
Landfill Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm (Last load accepted 4:00PM)
Saturday 8:00 AM until 12:30 PM (Last load accepted 12:00PM)
Recycling Sites Hours of Operation:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 7:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday and Thursday 8:00am - 6:00pm
Director: Kim Hill